Performance review season is coming up and leaders may benefit from using COACHING techniques for better outcomes. The GROW model is outlined below with some sample coaching questions to incorporate into the dialogue.
- What would you like to get out of this discussion?
- What would be the most helpful for you to take away from this year’s discussion?
- What do you want to achieve?
- What do you see as the next step in your career?
- What actions have you taken so far?
- What were the effects of that action?
- What are the major concerns or constraints moving forward?
- Let’s list the options you see at this point.
- What else could you do?
- What if….budget were not a factor? …you had more staff? …you had a magic wand and could do anything you wanted?
- What will you do?
- When will you do it?
- Will it meet your goal?
- What obstacles are you prepared for?
- What support will you need?
Kirkpatrick, D. L. (2006). Improving employee performance through appraisal and coaching. AMACOM Div American Mgmt Assn.
About the Author
Dr. Linda M. Love is the Director of Faculty Development at UNMC. She holds a doctorate in Adult Learning and Higher Education Administration. Her work is focused on helping faculty reach their full potential as teachers, innovators, influencers, and leaders in complex and evolving academic medical center environments.